Thursday, October 14, 2004

More Page Proofs

Took me a second day, but I was able to finish reading those page proofs today. Chores like this wreak havoc with my production of new pages, but they have to be done. And while I don't really enjoy reading over my own work, I usually come across a few nice bits that I'd forgotten. In this case it was a little homage to one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies, THE COMANCHEROS. It's so obscure nobody will ever get it but me, but I got a chuckle out of it anyway.

Speaking of THE COMANCHEROS, I discovered that George J. Lewis, the hero of ZORRO'S BLACK WHIP, had an uncredited part in THE COMANCHEROS as Chief Iron Shirt, the drunken Comanche chief who passes out in his food at the dinner with John Wayne, Stuart Whitman, and Nehemiah Persoff fairly late in the movie. Now there's some trivia for you.

I've started reading MONTANA RIDES by Frederick Faust, in an old Paperback Library reprint bylined "Max Brand Writing as Evan Evans". Why did they go to so much trouble?

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

Thanks for the trivium anent George Lewis and The Comancheros. Now I'll have to watch it again with that scene in mind. And did you notice that there's a character named Ed McBain? I wonder if that was an homage to the writer.

James Reasoner said...

Yeah, I always notice when they mention Ed McBain in THE COMANCHEROS. I haven't read Paul Wellman's source novel, so I don't know if the character was called that in the book or not. That's something I ought to investigate.