Tuesday, August 30, 2005

New Book

I've been writing quite a bit lately, so when it came time today to start a new book, I wasn't sure if I could muster up the mental energy to do so. Also, I had some other stuff to do this morning, so it was after lunch before I finally sat down to write. See how it goes, I told myself. Just see how it goes.

It went well. I love starting a new manuscript. There's all that potential just waiting out there, the characters who weren't in the outline but come rampaging into the story anyway, the plot twists lurking, ready to jump out at me, that I don't even know about yet, and the nice lines that occasionally make me pause and grin for a second before I go on.

I'm sure that before I'm done with it I'll be saying to myself, "Am I ever going to finish this damned thing?" But for now it's a pretty nice feeling.

3 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Wait a minute. Have you already written two novels this month? I'm so far behind you that I'll never catch up.

Buddy Gott said...

I'm just starting to write my first novel. Reading here about how you write is very inspirational. Your blog has become one of the websites I visit most frequently.

James Reasoner said...

Thanks for the kind words, Buddy, and good luck with your novel.