Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim/David Sedaris


Before I picked up this book I didn't know much about David Sedaris. I'd seen him on TV a few times when he was on David Letterman's show, and I knew he was supposed to be a humorist, but in his TV appearances I found him sort of odd and not very funny. When I started reading this book of essays by him, I reacted pretty much the same way. They were dark to the point of being a little creepy at times and not very funny. However, the more I read and the more I got into the rhythm of Sedaris's prose, the funnier they got. I wound up enjoying this book quite a bit. I have to wonder how much of it is true and how much is embellished for the sake of humor, but that's really not the point, I suppose. More important that it's well-written and had me laughing out loud at times. I'll probably look for more of Sedaris's books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best of Sedaris's pieces are the "real" stuff about his family, which are often fall-on-the-floor hilarious.