Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mammoth Adventure, March 1947


On Monday, before all the trouble with my eye, we were out running errands and stopped by Half Price Books. For the first time ever, I found a pulp there: the March 1947 issue of MAMMOTH ADVENTURE. Now, I'm not that big a fan of the Ziff-Davis pulps, and I'd never heard of most of the authors in this issue, but you know I wasn't just about to leave it there. There are only four stories, two novellas and two novelettes: "Valley of the Big Smoke", a Northern by Frances M. Deegan; "No Holds Barred", a wrestling yarn by Alexander Blade (a Z-D house name; I don't know who really wrote this one); "Cavern's End" by C.A. Baldwin, a sea-going adventure despite the title; and "Panama Adder", a Central American jungle tale by H.B. Hickey. I haven't read any of them yet, but I'll bet at least some of them are pretty entertaining.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I miss Half Price Books. We were in Austin for over two months after Katrina and I got used to mining those stores at least once a week. None of them around here in Louisiana.