Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Western Story, December 10, 1938

I haven't featured a cover from WESTERN STORY in a while, so I thought it would be a good time to do so. With its odd perspective, this is an interesting cover and would have made me look twice at it on the newsstand. And then the words "The Quickest Draw -- A Complete Novel by T.T. Flynn" probably would have inspired me to part with a dime, if I had one in my pocket. Flynn is one of my all-time favorites. Also in the table of contents for that issue are stories by W. Ryerson Johnson, Tom Roan, and Seth Ranger (Frank Richardson Pierce), all of them top Western pulp authors. Yep, I would have bought that one.

3 comments:

Steve M said...

Great eye-catching cover.

Oscar Case said...

I would have bought that just for the cover.

Walker Martin said...

I have a friend that I've been arguing with for years because he contends that WESTERN STORY is a good magazine only during the Max Brand years of 1920-1934. But as your comments show, the magazine was quite interesting even after the Max Brand stories stopped appearing.

WESTERN STORY had several interesting covers like this one.