Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Celebrations in the Ossuary - Kyle J. Knapp


It's a cliche, but in this case it's true: I sat down to glance at this book and wound up reading the whole thing. As many of you know, Kyle J. Knapp was David Cranmer's nephew who passed away earlier this summer. That makes this collection of his poetry that much more poignant, but it's powerful in its own right. Proving, I guess, that maybe noir runs in the family, many of the poems here focus on death, loss, and struggle and have a decidedly dark edge, but that's balanced with vivid, beautiful imagery and clever wordplay that leavens the tone with a bit of humor. It's compelling stuff, no doubt about that. Highly recommended.

3 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Thanks, James. I know Kyle would be as appreciative of this review as I am.

Mates said...

David, I have read these poems over and over since you sent them to me, but there was something about having it on my kindle. I read the whole book all over again as if for the first time. James, I am so pleased to hear that others see his writing the way I do, it brings me great joy. Thank-you for your review.

Charles Gramlich said...

I have it and its up soon on my reading list. School is putting a crimp in reading, though