Saturday, February 04, 2017

Saturday Morning Western Pulp: Western Story, August 21, 1943


A gunfight on top of a water tank? Sounds good to me. I'm surprised I've never written a scene like that. This looks like a good issue of WESTERN STORY, with stories by Ray Nafziger, Wayne D. Overholser, William Colt MacDonald, Eli Colter, S. Omar Barker, and George Cory Franklin.

I should mention, as I try to from time to time, that most of the scans I use in these weekend pulp posts come from the Fictionmags Index, and I want to express my appreciation for everyone involved in that invaluable site. When I've scanned the cover of a pulp I own, I always point that out and usually review the stories as well. And occasionally I use a scan from some other source, such as friends who send them to me. I just want to say thanks to everyone who makes this series possible, including those of you who read these posts.

4 comments:

Walker Martin said...

Thank you for the Saturday and Sunday pulp cover posts. Each morning I look to see what is new on Rough Edges. And Fiction Mags is one of the best and most valuable sites. I visit it almost daily as I look up authors who appeared in the pulps and slicks.

Todd Mason said...

Phil Stephensen-Payne, Bill Contento, and the others who have done more than I have (not too tough!) to populate the site deserve all the plaudits they can get.

And your posts are a delight as well, James.

If you had a shootout on two nearby towers, you might be accused of lifting from William McGivern's ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW, albeit those tellingly weren't water tanks on the towers in question...

Jim Griffin said...

Get plugged or drown. Either way's not a good way to die. I actually did have an engineer shot off the top of his locomotive while filling the engine with water from the water take. Is that close enough?

James Reasoner said...

Todd,
I don't think I've ever read ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW, but given that hint, I think I will be. I've liked everything else I've read by McGivern.