Friday, November 30, 2007

End-of-the-Month Update


I went from having the most productive month of my entire career in October to having my worst month so far this year in November. That’s probably not too surprising. Sooner or later the gas always starts to run low in the tank. The good news is that while I wasn’t getting as much written, I was still pleased with the quality of the pages I was turning out. As I think I’ve said before and no doubt will say again, a writing slump is just like a batting slump in baseball. The only solution is to hit your way out of it.

These are the books I read in November:

THE BLACK ANGEL, Cornell Woolrich
LONGARM AND THE WOLF WOMEN, Tabor Evans (Peter Brandvold)
PITY THE DAMNED (apa SLUM SINNERS), Andrew Shaw (Lawrence Block)
FURY ON SUNDAY, Richard Matheson
THE EMBEZZLER, James M. Cain
RIDE THE NIGHTMARE, Richard Matheson
THE GREATEST BATMAN STORIES EVER TOLD, VOLUME 2
HAVEN: SECRETS RISING, Suzanne McMinn

I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk lately and half the time can’t figure out what I want to read next. That leads to stopping and starting a lot of books. When that happens to me, I usually read short stories until the mood breaks, but this time I’m finding it difficult even to concentrate on short stories. All it takes to fix that, though, is finding the right book, and I’m confident that I will soon.

Since we’ve been back home, we’ve been able to watch more movies than we did down at the coast. Here are the ones we watched this month:

TRANSFORMERS
SHREK THE THIRD
SPIDER-MAN 3
RATATOUILLE
MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET
THE MYTH
LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD

No question which of these I liked the best: MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET. There’ll probably be some more Christmas classics coming up in December. It’s been a long time since I watched IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE and WHITE CHRISTMAS, and I think I’m in the mood for them.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Fractured attention span problems makes it is easier to read older books where the narrative is linear and makes sense. Miracle, Meet Me in St. Louis (not just Christams) and A Christmas Story are my favorites.
A Wonderful Life is too hysterical for my tastes.

Anonymous said...

Have you noted that NBC is trying to turn the WONDERFUL LIFE ripoff THE FAMILY MAN into another chestnut? I suspect it must be a Universal property.

Carl V. Anderson said...

We've been pulling out the Christmas 'classics', old and new for the past few weeks. I'm saving Its a Wonderful Life and White Christmas until it is a little closer to the actual day, since those are favorites. Miracle on 34th street (the older black and white one, not the newer one) is also a favorite that will be viewed soon, maybe this weekend since we finally got some snow and it feels all Christmas-y here.

Benjie said...

Which Miracle was it? Maureen O'Hara and John Payne, I hope. I've already seen IAWL for this year and am looking forward to White Christmas, as well. Ah, the Christmas season.

On another note, wish I could find the time to do that kind of reading. I'm behind on just about everybody (two to three publishings).