Friday, December 12, 2008

Forgotten Books: Arizona Guns - William MacLeod Raine

With some authors, you can be aware of their work for years, even decades, without ever reading any of it. That’s the way it’s been for me with William MacLeod Raine. If you’re like me and practically grew up in used bookstores during the Sixties and Seventies, you saw plenty of paperback Westerns by Raine. While he was never as popular as Zane Grey, Max Brand, or Louis L’Amour, Raine was prolific and a strong presence in the Western field for many years. Now, of course, he’s barely remembered, and based on ARIZONA GUNS, the first of his novels I’ve read, he deserves to be not only remembered but read.

Born in England in 1871, Raine moved to the American West ten years later and lived through much of the time period about which he wrote. Like Walt Coburn and another English immigrant, Fred East (who wrote as Tom West), Raine was an authentic Westerner with experience as a cowboy before he became a write
r. ARIZONA GUNS was originally published in 1919 by Houghton Mifflin under the title A MAN FOUR-SQUARE. There were at least two paperback reprints under the title ARIZONA GUNS, which despite having a classic B-Western sound to it, isn’t appropriate at all. Not one bit of the novel takes place in Arizona, and the only connection is that one of the characters mentions having gone there.

Instead, nearly all the book is set in New Mexico Territory, in the fictional Washington County. If you’re sharp enough to realize that there’s a real county in New Mexico named after a famous president, you’ll have a pretty good idea where this story is going. Yep, this is another fictionalized version of the Billy the Kid saga, with the “Washington County War” taking the place of the real-life Lincoln County War. In Raine’s version, the young hero is named Jim Clanton. After growing up somewhere in the Appalachians and being involved in a feud there, Clanton goes west in search of his enemies who have fled the mountains. He winds up joining a cattle drive up the Pecos, fights outlaws and Indians, becomes friends with a cowboy named Billie Prince, meets up with his old enemies, makes new enemies, romances a couple of beautiful young women, and eventually winds up on the wrong side of the law. By this time, Clanton’s friend Billie Prince has become a lawman, making him the Pat Garrett stand-in for this story, and when Clanton is accused of murdering one of the local cattlemen, Prince has to
form a posse and go after him.

Raine veers off from history in various places, so the story winds up being only loosely based on the Lincoln County War. Because of this, he’s able to throw some nice twists into the plot, especially where various romantic triangles are concerned. Romance plays a big part in this book, as was common in Westerns of the time period, especially the bestsellers authored by Zane Grey. ARIZONA GUNS reminds me quite a bit of Grey’s work, in fact, although it’s not nearly as flowery and melodramatic. Raine slips in a dark undertone to an otherwise happy ending, too, which sets it apart from Grey’s novels and the other popular Westerns of the period. The writing is a little old-fashioned in places (what else would you expect from a book written ninety years ago?), but it holds up well, the style tough and spare for the most part.

I’ve always liked Zane Grey’s plots, and when he finally got around to writing action scenes, he produced some corkers, but I also find it hard to wade through the long-winded prose in his books. If you’re the same way, I think you’d enjoy William MacLeod Raine’s novels, at least based on this one. I definitely intend to read more of them.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about this guy. It's nice to know.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

Excellent amount of background info - I'll do my best to find some by this guy.

Ray said...

Raine was a playground favourite back in the fifties. I didn't know that he was English though.

Scott D. Parker said...

I'll echo The Archavist here and say thanks for the background. In that box of non-L'amour westerns I inherited from my granddad, there are a few Raine novels. Will have to check them out.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've read something by him I really liked but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

Steve M said...

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one James. Raine has always been an author I've passed by, even though I come across his books often, maybe it's time I picked one or two up and gave them ago.

Juri said...

I've read THE DESERT'S PRICE (1924) and my notes (or actually an entry in a reference book) say I liked the book, but can't remember much of it. Seems like a reworking of Romeo and Juliet's story.

I've also read or skimmed through some abridged translations of Raine's books, but since they were shortened, I can't much say about them. George Walsh has a good entry on Raine in 20TH CENTURY WESTERN WRITERS. Off to a library, then, everyone!

Unknown said...

FWIW, the book at also be found at *this* URL: http://www.munseys.com/book/20197/Man_Four-Square,_A

Also, let me add that, although I seldom comment on your blog, James, I print it up and read all the entries every month or so, and appreciate your perspective on movies and books and writing.